Sunday, April 09, 2006

Sunrise Over H Street

(CLICK TO ENLARGE) It was a quiet April 8 weekend for the residents in and around the 700 block of 8th Street NE. So, I’ll reach into the archives for a photo from Sunday, March 25. This is looking east as the sun rises over H Street NE at 6:20 a.m. ET. The photo was made from the southeast corner of H and 8th Streets, where 12 hours earlier, one group’s use of an amplified loudspeaker created a long and stressful afternoon for the residents of the neighborhood. Photographing sunrises in the H Street Corridor must be unusual and suspicious because in two separate instances during my 15 minutes on the corner, Metropolitan Police Officers pulled me aside for questioning. (Copyright © 2006. David Klavitter)

4 Comments:

Blogger inked said...

I've always thought you looked like a sketchy character. I've never had an issue, but I'm not usually shooting before 7am.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Tristrami said...

Klav,

I like the shot, and it is v. appropriate on your Quest for Quiet blog. You see, just before the hulk of the Church (in the left background) is the new store iHipHop on H Street blasting music onto the street during its hours of operation at a deafening volume. I was waiting at the bus stop near the front of the stop and it was really unplesantly loud -- to say nothing of the content of the lyrics. Is this also protected "free speech amplification" or something else? I live far enough away not to have to unwillingly hear it all day, but if I did it would be pretty unpleasant. Let me know.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Klav said...

tristrami--

Thanks for the photo note.

As far as the noise, the D.C. Office of Attorney General said amplified "non-commercial free speech" is protected. Since this store is a commerical venture, my guess is that they could be regulated by DCRA noise inspectors with handheld decibel meters.

DCRA noise inspector Mandoza Lowery's number is 202-442-4372.

Let me know if you decide to follow up.

Klav

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live on the 900 block of 8th street. We pass the Israelites every Saturday. in fact, I wnet into the shoestore on that corner to buy a pair of shoes, and when I asked them about these guys they just rolled their eyes.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home