Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Bullhorns in Fenty’s Neighborhood

Citizens protesting Washington, D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty’s plan to take control of the city’s public school system gathered with bullhorns to protest outside the mayor’s home Tuesday in northwest Washington, according to NBC 4. Also find coverage on ABC 7.

“The group showed up with bullhorns and boisterous chants, disturbing the usually quiet street where the mayor lives,” reports the NBC 4 website. The raucous noise apparently breached some neighbors’ peace and quiet, according to the report.

Anyone know how long the protesters assembled? One hour? Four hours, like at H Street NE like most every Saturday?

The report said about 24 protestors assembled in the neighborhood. That should be plenty of vocal power to make a disturbance. So why in the world did they need the aid of electric noise devices? Would it be right if simply one protester with a stout amplifier could paralyze the residential area?

Other than media coverage, I don't think the neigborhood protest was an effective way to convert anyone to their cause. They just caught the mayor’s neighbors and his family in the crossfire for one evening.

D.C. law currently allows anyone to use an amplified device at ANY LEVEL anywhere in the city between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. The mayor pledged in early January to help fix the D.C. noise law.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think going to an official's home to protest anything, is going too far.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd trade the mayor's one hour on one Tuesday disruption for my four+ hours on a year of Saturdays.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The two events are not comparable. David, if you support stunts like this you are damaging your message. I thought you were smarter and more careful than this.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Klav said...

Anon at 2:26 PM:

Apparently I was careless when I wrote the post last night.

The demonstration in the mayor's neighborhood illustrated the absurdity of the city's broken noise law. My point, "real protestors don't use amplifiers," missed the mark completely.

Despite the media coverage, the Fenty home protestors won no sympathies to their cause...just disturbed a bunch of neighbors and members of the Fenty family who have no control in the situation.

Ironically, a group of ten "Quest for Quiet" neighbors last June did something similar to show how residents and businesses can be negatively impacted by unreasonable noise--whatever the cause. We rented an amplifier and stood on the corner of Wisconsin and N Streets in Georgetown for two hours. Patrons fled two bustling restaurants and a paper boutique and the neighbors hurled insults.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for clearing that up David. I think it was that "I support....100%" thing that threw me off. For a minute there I thought I lost my my Quest for Quiet hero.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home