Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Does Video Accurately Portray Noise Issue?

I don't own a video camera, so I borrowed a friend's Casio digital camera with a video feature. I've hesitated to post videos about the noise issue because I don't think it provides you, the reader, an accurate portrayal of how the amplified noise affects residents and businesses living at H and 8th Streets NE every Saturday. (However, I did link to a WTOP News Radio audio story once.)

My reasons for not embracing video until this point:
    * Decibels: You control the sound volume--residents and businesses can not;

    * Duration: A thirty second video clip might be tolerable at any volume--residents and businesses are forced to hear more than four hours every weekend. To simulate, please replay the video 480 times;

    * Content: People fixate on the speech content, which is NOT the issue--residents and businesses believe noise negatively affects human health and well-being.
So with those disclaimers, I present you with some very amateur footage made on Saturday, March 24, 2007. The time was about 7:30 p.m. and I stood several steps away from my neighbor's yard, roughly 175 feet away from the noise source. My camera faces north along 8th Street NE, toward the southeast corner of the intersection.

In the video, you will hear the fellows preaching though the amplifier. You also will hear shouts from several girls waiting at the bus stop on the opposite corner. Please ignore the content.



The girls then crossed the street to debate the preachers. Notice they maintain distance from the blaring amplifier. I move closer (sorry for the herky-jerky movement)...



How do you think the videos portray the situation? Help or hinder?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Wicketywack said...

David,

The videos are essential. Most people reading your blog don't fully understand what it's like.

I'm one of your few readers who've been to your corner and I understand how bad the situation is. But those who can't make the trip should be able to see what goes on.

Best,
LB

8:29 PM  
Blogger Klav said...

Thanks for the feedback, LB.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loud. Even in those low quality videos.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loud, yes. But a threat to human health and safety? LMAO. I've been on this corner and countless others listening to these street preachers.

You overfed privileged folks need to try and live without health insurance. Now THATS a health problem.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The videos are great. What a tremendous nuisance! I live in NW on busy Wisconsin Ave. It's hard to sleep with all the sirens, traffic, and horn-honking that goes on, but this is much worse. I really, really sympathize with your cause. It's hard to understand why this kind of amplification is so regularly tolerated, but then again there are a lot of things I don't understand about DC police enforcement... Thank you for your efforts.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home