Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Decibel Meter is an Objective Device

Since young Arthur Delaney lumped the noise issue into his The Hill story about H Street NE's single alcohol sales moratorium, I must reiterate:

The residents--of all shapes, sizes and colors--who live in and around the 700 block of 8th Street NE support the rights to free speech in the public space.

We simply do not want preachers in our bedrooms.

People who continue to infer the current D.C. noise issue is about anything other than noise have yet to point out a decibel meter's race, gender or content buttons.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to lump you, Klavitter! But if you call me "young Arthur Delaney," that means I get to call you "newcomer David Klavitter."

Be well,
YAD

6:05 PM  
Blogger Klav said...

You make a good point, Arthur. I'm older than you, but you've lived on the Hill longer than me. We're both newcomers and old-timers in our own way.

Your report this week took me by surprise; I thought your previous stories held wisdom that this one seemed to lack. Hence, the reference to youth.

Like several of my neighbors who have lived here more than 20 years, we newcomers preceded the 2004 loophole which allows several groups' amplified noise unhindered into our bedrooms.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it eminently worth pointing out that a series of recent policies for H Street NE have dredged up the same complaint, however scurrilous that complaint may seem to some people, who must then REITERATE their rebuttal.

Looks like I know how to push YOUR content buttons, Mr. K!

Cheers,
AD

8:00 AM  
Blogger Klav said...

AD:

Long-hours of amplified noise in my home nearly every Saturday and Sunday have left me an impatient, jumpy and paranoid District of Columba resident.

And so I reiterate our neighborhood's message every chance I get:

The residents--of all shapes, sizes and colors--who live in and around the 700 block of 8th Street NE support the rights to free speech in the public space.

We simply do not want preachers in our bedrooms.

Would you?

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home