Sunday, November 04, 2007

Art Imitates Life: The Noise Movie Coming Soon

Poo Poo and Arthur Delaney both emailed me about an upcoming movie with Tim Robbins. He plays a guy named "David" who is driven crazy by unwanted noise in New York City--in this case, car alarms earn his ire.

This pushes him to becomes a one-man vigilante in his quest, even calling himself "The Rectifier." Check out this quote from director Henry Bean, which appeared in this Reuters story (I can totally relate):
Despite his own personal battle against car alarms, which according to Bean "should be totally illegal", the director said his film was, above all, about the disconnect that he feels exists between those in power and their citizens.

"For me, noise becomes a metaphor for power. The noise that I have to listen to, that I have no control over, that invades my house, my ears, my thoughts... in a way that's how our governments are," he said.
As far as noise driving someone crazy...you should hear what I just bought on eBay. (I hope my wife isn't reading this.) In the meantime, watch the trailer:

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Wicketywack said...

What? WHAT did you buy??

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure the City Council gets a copy of this.
When does this issue come up for a vote?
Keep up the good work....you are making a difference!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Klav said...

LB...

I obtained the device--actually, I bought two beat-up-but-functional items--to emulate in other neighborhoods the same noise attack undertaken in our community every weekend. Much like an Amplified Free Speech Day, but on-demand and in a portable format.

This means ONE PERSON has the amplification power to disrupt an entire neighborhood at will.

As a result, we can force our free speech into any D.C. resident's bedroom between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m.

My neighbor, Paul, phrased it as an "Amplified Lecture Series."

It's sick, indeed, and I take no pleasure in it.

Such antics piss off people--it makes 'em crazy angry. To this, the H and 8th St NE neighbors can relate.

(Red Storm took our neighborhood to task for our June 24th Amplified Free Speech Day in Adams Morgan. It wasn't fun for anyone, but how else are people made aware of our plight?)

My neighbors and I agree that we need friends, but unless a person is directly impacted by the broken noise law, he or she doesn't care--out of earshot, out of mind.

But dammit, being forced to hear--in one's own home--more than five hours of endless banter on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon affects a person's stress level, attitude and spirit.

We completely support free speech in the public space. But we don't want preachers or protesters in our bedroom. That's an invasion of privacy and a trampling of my rights.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Wicketywack said...

Klav,

As always, I support all your efforts and tactics.

- Lonnie Bruner (Adams Morgan resident)

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noise adds to your stress level. I'm sure endless noise can drive you batty.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home